The 6 Best Counter-Depth Refrigerators Under $4000
Counter-depth refrigerators install flush with your kitchen counters, so it doesn’t take up valuable space in your kitchen. Only the door sticks out for hinge clearance – see the picture to the right for an example.
The counter-depth configuration solves two key design problems:
- It works well in kitchen islands, hallways and other tight spaces
- It provides access to the professionally-designed look of integrated refrigeration at a fraction of the cost
If you don’t want to drop $6000+ to enter the built-in refrigeration market, you can find a stainless steel counter-depth refrigerator for a quarter of that price.
With that in mind, we wanted to break down our best-selling counter-depth refrigerators by price range to help you find one that’s right for your budget.
Frigidaire FGHC2331PF Side By Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator
Frigidaire dominates the entry-level refrigerator market, and their counter-depth offering is no different. It is much more reliable and feature-rich than other comparably-priced models.
- Adjustable spill-safe glass shelves increase the storage options for any user. Glass shelves contain spills and can easily be removed for cleaning – two advantages it boasts over standard wire shelving. They also adjust to fit large items such as wine bottles and crockpots.
- Smudge-proof stainless steel keeps fingerprints at bay. Less cleaning and maintenance work makes for a happier owner.
- The Pure Air Ultra filter not only absorbs odors, it also removes noxious gases emitted by foods to prolong the shelf live of your refrigerator contents.
Electrolux EI23CS35KS Side By Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator
At 22.7 cubic feet, this refrigerator rivals the storage of some standard depth models. This a great choice for growing households who need maximum storage in a limited space.
- Exceptionally quiet components, so you never hear the hum of the compressor again.
- Enhanced LED Lighting makes food more visible and easy to access
- Temperature controls allow you to adjust freezer and refrigerator temperatures independently.
French door refrigerators account for over half of all refrigerators we sell, and at around $2700, a counter-depth French door refrigerator becomes a viable option.
GE CFCP1NIZSS French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator
- This model has a unique water dispenser on the inside wall. Because the water doesn’t feed through the door, the dispenser doesn’t eat into your usable storage space.
- Store large trays of fresh food in the full-width crisper drawer – great for entertaining.
Electrolux EI23BC30KS French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator
It’s no accident that we sell a ton of Electrolux – they’re the second-largest appliance manufacturer in the world, and they have a fantastic service reputation backing up their products. Electrolux builds some of the most dependable appliances around.
And on the rare occasions we do run into a service issue, Electrolux will replace warrantied units if their certified technician can’t fix it. Most other manufacturers won’t do that, and that product confidence wins Electrolux a lot of sales.
Their sub-$3000 offering is fantastic – it’s our best-selling counter-depth fridge. In addition to the design and storage versatility you’d expect from a refrigerator in this price range, it has a few great usability touches:
- The drawers have a “luxury glide” feel – even when you pack them full of food, they open and close effortlessly.
- An alarm warns you of internal temperature and humidity changes that would spoil your food. It will sound if the door has been open for too long or the temperature climbs above a certain threshhold.
Electrolux makes another appearance in the $3000-$4000 price range, and KitchenAid also makes a strong contender.
KitchenAid Architect Series KFIS20XVMS
- ExtendFresh Temperature Management System. This features uses sensors in the refrigerator and freezer to ensure all your different foods and ingredients remain at their respective temperatures for optimum taste and texture
- Temperature-controlled deli locker allows you to manually change how much cold filtered air enters the deli drawer
- Dedicated wine rack and split adjustable shelves allow for incredibly flexible storage. (See picture to the right)
Electrolux Icon E23BC78IPS
- Custom temperature drawers come with 9 preset selections to store items such as wines, cheeses, and shell fish.
- Tri Level Freezer Organization helps organize the bottom freezer with ease. People occasionally complain that bottom freezers are hard to organize because food gets buried at the bottom. With three smooth glide baskets with removable dividers, plus removable baskets on top, you won’t have that problem.
Counter-depth refrigerators are a growing market; they evoke the clean, bold design of built-in refrigerators without the hefty price tag.
For a complete breakdown of refrigerator configurations, features and design trends, take a look at our free refrigerator buying guide. We wrote this guide to answer the most common questions we receive from people who need to buy a new refrigerator, but don’t quite know where to start. It should give you everything you need to narrow in on a choice you love.